Tuesday, July 3, 2012

New Apron

I've been wanting to sew myself a new apron for a while - something flattering :) honestly.
I had some time to sew Sunday so, being unable to decide which dress to sew for's Pattern Stash contest, (after tons of considering & getting frustrated because I just wasn't being inspired!!); I started digging through a box of patterns, I came across a 1952 McCall's 1713 apron pattern - in surprisingly good condition! - that I've had in my stash for over a year.

The apron did not come together as easily as it seemed like it should have. I should have known better but I figured "apron - not fitted" but it is kinda. I got it mostly sewn up, tried it on & it was several sizes too big, basically (the size on the pattern envelope indicated it would be the right size). I took 2 inches off the shoulders and 2 inches off the front neckline, smoothing it into the back neckline, so that it wasn't being choked. Trying to figure out what I needed to do next I got fed up and went to bed.
I picked it back up Monday night. I put it on my dress form to work on the fit. I pinned out the extra fabric at the "side bust" in the back (I should have taken pics). Looking at the marking for the alterations that I pinned, I decided the best way to handle it would be to cut the back at the waistline, and gather the extra to fit the new upper back piece. I cut out the extra fabric from the upper back, re-sewed the new side seam, and sewed the gathered lower back to the upper back. So this is how it all came together.
I did make my own design change: the original pockets where huge!!! So I made my pocket smaller, with the gingham on the bias edged with the white fabric to break up the gingham a bit.
The pattern calls for all the edges of the apron to be bound with bias tape but I honestly didn't want to go to that work so I just did a bit of a rolled edge on my serger, so much quicker. The thrifted fabric, from my stash, was labeled as a twin sheet but it is awfully heavy & not very soft - I thought it was curtain fabric! The white is some remnants from my stash.

I do really like my finished apron with the ties that go into the front pleat & then cover the back waist seam. I will be wearing it a lot - especially when it is time to do the canning this fall.
So a good stash buster and now I have a pretty apron! Yay!
Hope everyone is staying cool & hydrated - it is 93 out here but feels like 103!! with the humidity! Glad we got the new air conditioner installed last week!!
Blessed Be, Alyssa


  1. A great looking and totally practical apron!!! Love the large pocket. Thanks for linking up @Threading My Way...

  2. Hi Alyssa, I've featured your apron today...


Thank you for taking a look at my little blog, I'd love to hear from you!