At D's school February is focused on reading with the kids all wearing the READ shirts on Fridays. We got the order form in January but there is no way I am paying $20 dollars for a shirt when I can make D a shirt from my stash.
With D reminding me Wednesday that he needed/wanted to wear a READ shirt Friday I made sure to get myself down to my sewing room to get something made. My initial thought had been to cut some heat transfer vinyl & add it to an existing shirt but....I got my first issue of Ottobre Design so I HAD to make something from it.
|I decided on Ottobre 1/2013 #21 Child's Long Sleeve Shirt|
I then had to change the pattern 'cause, heaven forbid I do anything the easy way! I wanted to try some applique/reverse applique using my embroidery machine. Layering two shirt fronts together I used one of the fonts on my machine I stitched READ through both, sewing them together essentially. Using my regular sewing machine I stitched a rough oval around the word a few times. I then very carefully cut away the dark blue of the front shirt and was left with the applique. I proceeded to finish constructing the shirt making it look layered, treating the front's two layers at one piece; the only part of the shirt that isn't actually two layers is the back. D likes it and has worn it a few times. I used two men's shirts from my stash that I believe were from my MIL so the shirt only cost me my time and made use of a new pattern - yay!
Have a good afternoon,