Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pot Holder Dish Towel




I came across a tutorial on Tatertots and Jello for a pot holder dish towel. I thought it would be the perfect gift for D's preschool teacher. I changed up my version of the towel. First I moved the pot holders to one edge instead of opposite corners, then I put the pot holder on both sides of the pocket so it can be used from either side. I thought about making it an apron but didn't.

The parts: 4 quarter circles of InsulBright, 8 quarter circles of a cotton fabric, & 2 rectangles of cotton fabric.
The only thing I had to buy was the Insul-Bright. All of the fabric came from my stash (the green was scraps of a sheet I've been using to make muslins) so this was an inexpensive project for me. The tutorial I read suggested the rectangles be 20" x 30"; mine aren't quite that. I was trying to get the most towels out of the fabric I had so I just divided it up evenly to get 6 towels.
First I stitched the two of the pieces of the Insul-Bright, shiny side to wrong side of fabric, just along the curve. Try to place the Insul-Bright so that it won't get sewn into the seam allowance - makes it too bulky. And contrary to my picture, only sew this to one of the rectangles - in this case only the white & blue, the green should not have been placed already.
My green pocket pieces are slightly larger than the Insul-Bright pieces. I first stitched two of the green pocket pieces together along the curve then turn & press. Then sandwich the Insul-Bright between them and top-stitch along the curve as seen below.

This is the confusing step. The pocket piece needs to be placed so that the shiny side of the Insul-Bright is facing the towel's right side- in this case the white & blue fabric's right side. Then place the second rectangle right side down on top of everything else and pin. Sew around the edges leaving a 5" opening for turning along the top edge. Make sure to catch the edges of the pocket in the seams between the towel pieces.

I missed this picture but turn everything right side out, making sure to place your pockets to the correct side - in my case the green side. Then top stitch around all edges, making sure to catch the opening and sewing it closed.
Next I measured down 3" from the top stitching on the curve of the pocket and made a small mark to start my stitching to secure the pocket.
I stitched up from the 3" mark approximately 2" but you could go all the way to the top.
The right side view.
Finished and ready to tuck a gift card or chai tea mix into one of the pot holder pockets.


Linking up to: Skip to My Lou, Tip Junkie, Sew Much AdoJust Winging It

Well, I hope this helps someone, sorry this is too late for xmas gifts this year but these are great for teacher gifts, MIL gifts, etc.

Hope you have a good afternoon and Blessed Be. Alyssa

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea! Yours turned out so perfectly!

    Thank you so much for being a part of "A Little Birdie Told Me..." Tuesday at Rook No. 17! I can't wait to see what you'll bring to the share-nest tomorrow!

    Happy New Year!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this brilliant idea and tutorial....
    You are so sweet to make these as gifts!

    hugs x
    Crystelle
    http://www.crystelleboutique.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a look at my little blog, I'd love to hear from you!