Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sew Colette - Meringue Skirt

Well, being that my muslin went well, I have been able to finish my skirt. I love it! I haven't had a chance to wear it since it is winter in Minnesota but hope to soon! An added bonus, I went through my existing wardrobe and found three tops that I can wear with my new skirt. I'll have to re-evaluate when it gets warm out but I can handle that.
I'm not sure what happened but I did have to take the waist in a bit (should have tried it on before I had sewn the waist facing on). I put on the muslin again at this point to see if it was the same & it was so I'm not sure what I did last weekend when I made the muslin. I really doubt I could lose a noticable amount of weight in only a week, as much as I would like that to happen :)
As you can see I cut the skirt out on the bias. I've been wanting to make a plaid skirt for a while & had just enough of this fabric to make the skirt. I was given this fabric from my SIL and only had to buy some interfacing, so this skirt cost me next to nothing to make! Yay!
The scallop hem was relatively easy, just used short stitches and went slow. The main skirt pieces were cut on the bias and the facings weren't (didn't have room on the fabric & was willing to take the chance), I think it helped the scallops to turn smoothly - of course after lots of careful clipping & ironing. I did have to fiddle with the darts as they didn't want to lay flat at the points but I think I finally got them to work out better.
I do think I will be making another version of this but add pockets - I always need pockets! Plus I would like to make it with contrasting piping on the scallops, kind of like Sarai shows here.
I hope you are having fun sewing! Blessed be.

Thank you to Sarah of Rhinestones and Telephones for featuring my skirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a look at my little blog, I'd love to hear from you!