Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Sew Colette Sew-Along - Muslin

Well, I'm actually up to date with the sew-along! I was able to get my usual pattern adjustements made and sew up my muslin over the weekend. I added some length to the pattern but once I saw the length on my muslin I decided it would be wrong. I took the extra, that I had added, back out and taped my pattern back together at the "lengthen/shorten line." This actually helped my final skirt because I wouldn't have had enough fabric if it was longer. I have the pieces cut for my final skirt and would have started sewing but I didn't have the correct interfacing for the waist facing.

My pictures are horrible but here are a few of my progress pictures.
completed muslin- too long but I'm happy with the just below natural waist fit that is the Meringue's style.
The directions tell you to make a paper template for the stitching line on the hem facing.
I just marked the stitching line directly onto my pattern piece and then marked it on my pattern with my carbon marking paper & tracing wheel.
I had traced my pattern pieces onto freezer paper so I was able to just lightly iron it to the fabric, then cut around them with my rotary blade. Worked really slick, IMOP.
My line is hard to see but since I have a size 10 waist and size 12 hips, I needed to make a line joining the two sizes on the skirt pieces and the waist facings. For the facings I traced the line I had aready made on the skirt pieces to make sure I did it the same.
Here is a pic of the length I added but then I took it back out once I finished the muslin. I'm short but with the original length the hem will be at my knees which is as short as I make anything.
The muslin came together very easily but I do need to be very careful when I stitch the scallops on my final skirt, that is the touchiest part. I am looking forward to my finished skirt and hoping I can pull it together in an outfit.
Hoping you all had a good weekend and Blessed Be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a look at my little blog, I'd love to hear from you!