Monday, April 23, 2012

Yellow Shirt Dress Refashion

I have to thank my mother-in-law D for me being able to make this dress. I am lucky that my MIL loves to shop but also loves to give me anything she has decided she doesn't want. She mentioned on Wednesday that she had a couple dresses she decided she didn't like and wondered if I wanted them for the fabric - of course I said I would take them :)
She gave me two Lane Bryant shirt dresses, size 20. These things were tents!
Original dress with sash/belt

I have had the Simplicity 2403 pattern in my stash for a year or so; even attempted a muslin that didn't work out and ended up wadded up in a corner.
So I cut the skirt off the bodice, took off the sleeves and removed the sleeve cuff. I then used the bodice pattern pieces from 2403 to cut the new bodice pieces from the dress. I had to cut down the collar to make it fit the new back neckline. 
I used the sash/belt to make the waistband. For the skirt I just gathered it to fit the waistband, matching side seams and sewed it together, easy. The cuff fit the armholes so I just used them for the new sleeves. I really like how the sleeves have the slit in the top which I closed at the ends by tacking then attaching a button for some detail. So now I have a princess cut shirt dress in yellow. I've been wanting a yellow dress!  
The cuff worked out nicely as the new sleeve.
I tacked it together on the edge and then sewed a button on it for extra detail.
So, what have you refashioned lately?
Have you joined the Kids Clothes Week Challenge? I still need to get down to my sewing room and get some mending of the kids' clothes done tonight.
Good luck and Blessed Be, Alyssa

Tip Junkie handmade projects To My Lou