Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

1972 Simplicity knit top #5185

In keeping with the Pattern Stash Contest on PatternReview.com I choose to make myself a knit top from a vintage pattern in my stash. I like the collar look - not as casual as just a plain t-shirt. I used the large remnant of knit mentioned here, to make this shirt, same fabric as I used for my braided neckline tee but dyed with the wine Rit dye - I like this color much better.

Simplicity 5185 view 3
The pattern went together easily with the added bonus of this being vintage so someone else had a few notes and modifications - like to cut the collar on the fold instead of cutting two pieces. The previous seamstress also used a modified zipper facing - she modified the facing from view 2 to use on view 3 - so I used it too! As I show in the above picture I added iron on seam binding to the zipper tape to cover the stitching, much cleaner look IMOP. I tried to figure out how to install the zipper between the bodice front and the facing but with the shape of the facing I couldn't.
The shirt isn't as fitted as others but I think it will be a nice addition to my wardrobe, especially for layering in the winter.

Love that I am being pushed to use more of my vintage patterns! Classic styles never go out of style, thank goodness.
Blessed Be, Alyssa


http://salttree.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a look at my little blog, I'd love to hear from you!